Wow! Where has the time gone?! I was so busy in the run up to Christmas 2018 with custom order requests! In this post I’d love to show everyone what I’ve been up to!
This is just one of many things to come that I was asked to make for a Christmas gift in 2018. I’d like to show you a little bit about how I created this Star Wars string art portrait.
If you frequent Pinterest as much as I do then I’m sure you’ll have seen lots of amazing things on there. Especially when it comes to string art. Something that’s really popular seems to be the Marvel portraits. Usually something iconic and unique to one of the many famous characters.
This Star Wars String Art gift was created for a friends son who is a Star Wars fanatic. He really likes the Stormtroopers so doing a string art stormtrooper head was perfect.
Star Wars String Art – Creating The Base
Just like the Iron Man string art portrait I created, I started with an MDF base which I painted black. This one was bigger than what I’ve previously done at 420mm square. Before applying my background I painted the entire thing black, front and back. Eggshell matt paint works best on MDF.
I had my background printed on A2 paper at a local printer. My 420mm print just about fit on this size. Instead of this time gluing it like I did with the Iron man portrait, I decided to used double sided tape. This worked equally well and I only needed to.
Planning The Pins
I used another Star Wars String Art Stormtrooper head I found online as a guide for where to place my pins. I printed this out to the size I needed and this became my guide for where to place my panel pins.
It can be tricky making sure each of the nails are at roughly the same height as well as being level. This can really only be done by eye. I use a pair of long nose pliers to hold the pins while I hammer them in. #nomorepainfulfingers
Once all the nails are in you can then carefully remove the template. This can be tricky since you’ll likely need to remove small bits of paper from around the nails. Just bare with it and you’ll get through it.
This one was a little easier because it’s literally just two colours. Black and White. I did all of the white areas first and then then black outline last.
I decided not to fill in the ‘black’ areas of the Stormtrooper such as the eyes because I thought the overall finish would be more interesting if the background showed through. I used black string to give our Stormtrooper an outline. This included around the inside of the holes of the mask too.
The Finished Article
Here’s our Stormtrooper finished and looking good! The pictures really don’t do it justice. Don’t forget you can request a custom order through my Etsy shop! I’d be more than happy to discuss any type of project with you.
On a closing note I’d really like to say thank you so much for reading and checking out my blog. Stay tuned as there’s lots more exciting things to come!